MELISSA SPECIAL TAGLIATELLE AND RAGOUT
For the Handmade Tagliatelle:
2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
A pinch of salt
For the Pork Ragù:
1 lb (450g) ground pork
4 Italian pork sausages, casings removed
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1/2 cup (120ml) red wine
1 can (28 oz or 800g) crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for cooking
1. Prepare the Handmade Tagliatelle: a. On a clean surface, make a mound with the flour and create a well in the center. b. Crack the eggs into the well and add a pinch of salt. c. Using a fork, gradually incorporate the flour into the eggs until a dough forms. d. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until smooth. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes. e. Roll out the dough and cut it into thin strips to form tagliatelle. Dust with flour to prevent sticking.
2. Cook the Handmade Tagliatelle: a. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. b. Cook the tagliatelle for 2-3 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. Prepare the Pork Ragù: a. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. b. Add chopped onions, minced garlic, diced carrot, and diced celery. Sauté until softened. c. Add the ground pork and sausages, breaking them apart with a spoon and cook until browned. d. Pour in the red wine and allow it to reduce by half. e. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. f. Simmer the ragù for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
4. Combine Tagliatelle and Pork Ragù: a. Toss the cooked tagliatelle into the pork ragù, ensuring the pasta is well-coated. b. Allow the flavors to meld for a few minutes over low heat.
5. Serve: a. Plate the tagliatelle with a generous serving of pork ragù on top. b. Garnish with fresh basil or grated Parmesan if desired.
This recipe, named "Melissa's Homemade Tagliatelle and Ragù," combines the richness of traditional Italian flavors with a touch of uniqueness from soy sauce, creating a delightful dish that Alessandro is sure to enjoy.